A positive work culture is created by employees who are willing to motivate coworkers and by organizations that excel in employee appreciation and recognition.
Unfortunately, expressing gratitude doesn't always come naturally. Instead, it must be practiced regularly. But when done right, research shows that gratitude is associated with happiness, stronger relationships, and healthy work culture. It also can provide validation, and aids in the overall well-being of individuals.
So why not give it a try? Here, we've come up with 20 thoughtful appreciation messages you can use with your collegues.
Why Give Appreciation Messages at Work
According to research by Zippia, 80% of employees work harder if they felt appreciated. The driving force behind productivity is appreciation and recognition for their hard work. Let’s look at the effects it has on employees, and how it affects their work potential.
The benefits of practicing gratitude includes:
- Improved mental health.
- Healthier relationships.
- Better sleep.
- Boosts of self-confidence.
- A reduction in stress levels.
Oftentimes, people find it hard to express their thoughts of appreciation in words. But a lack of appreciation can lead to employee disengagement, poor relationships, negativity, and eventually employee turnover.
Conversely, appreciation at work can lead to:
- Satisfied employees.
- Strong relationships with peers and management.
- Regular recognition and rewards.
- Transparency and space for constructive criticism.
- Motivating employees to perform better.
- Policies and procedures that reflect trust, value, empathy, and growth.
RELATED: How to Build an Effective Employee Recognition Program
Appreciation Messages for Colleagues at Work
As an employee, if you find it difficult to put your gratitude into words, here are some appreciation messages you can share with your colleagues.
- I sincerely appreciate you helping me complete this project. I could’ve never done this without you!
- Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with me! I look forward to working with you again in the future.
- Thank you for helping me overcome some roadblocks on this project! I feel motivated and confident now that take on the next challenge.
- You're always such a joy to be around - thank you for sharing your positive energy with us at work!
- Thank you for checking on me when I was given a new project. Your input really helped put me on my way to completing this challenge on time.
- I was really struggling with this new project but you stepped in and helped me just at the right time. Thank you for your support!
- Thank you for understanding and supporting my viewpoint on this issue! I really appreciate you taking the time to hear me out.
- You have been an excellent help during my hard times. I cannot thank you enough!
- I wasn’t sure about how this project would turn out for our team, but your technical insight motivated us to move forward. I sincerely appreciate your help!
- I am extremely grateful to you for helping me with this task! I’m glad that I got a chance to work with you.
More Employee Appreciation Messages:
- Having seen the way you meticulously handle tasks inspires me. You are truly an inspiration to all!
- Your dedication and sincere efforts at work are truly inspiring. You've motivated me to challenge myself and I've seen myself grow because of it. Keep motivating others!
- I consider myself lucky to have you as an excellent colleague. I wish you all the best in all your endeavors!
- I want to take this moment to thank you for your collaboration. You are a truly remarkable team player.
- I cannot express how much of a valuable resource you are to our team and to me. Your expertise and insight is always so helpful. Thank you for being you!
- I admire your sincerity and honesty in work and in life. I am looking forward to learning more from you!
- Your helpfulness toward everyone in the office is what makes working with you the most meaningful and effective. I am fortunate to have you as my colleague!
- I’m amazed at your way of simplifying complex concepts with such ease. I really envy your professional skills!
- When it comes to constructive criticism, you have a growth mindset that I took with me. I really appreciate you for creating a positive impact on my professional life!
- It is inspiring to see your way of approaching new challenges and moving forward. Thank you for setting high standards of excellence with your work!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the best way to appreciate colleagues at work?
Make sure you express your gratitude to your colleagues every time they help you. Depending on the person and your company's recognition program, you can show your appreciation through awarding points on a social recognition platform, hand-written letters, a shout out in a meeting, or a quick thanks in private. The most important thing is to let them know you greatly appreciate them for their work.
- Is it professional to just say thank you to a colleague?
Saying "thanks" or "thank you" is never a bad idea. However, because they're so common, these phrases can lose their impact. If you want to replace "thanks" with something more thoughtful, you can use sentences like:
- I really appreciate you.
- I am so grateful to you.
- I owe you one.
- I have to give you kudos for that.
- Your help meant so much to me.
- How does employee appreciation affect work culture?
Scientifically, expressing gratitude releases neurotransmitters that are responsible for our emotions, making us feel good and boost our mood. The act of acknowledging help and support from peers and leaders is crucial for having engaged employees and a positive workplace. Without appreciation, employees can feel taken advantage of, replaceable, and disengaged.
RELATED: Employee Disengagement: 7 Signs Your Employees are Disengaged (and What to Do About It)
Improve Employee Recognition at Your Company Today
Terryberry provides solutions to help drive performance and retention through effective employee recognition. These solutions include:
- Service Awards and Performance Awards: Recognize and reward employees based on years of service awards, anniversaries, or performance.
- Social Recognition: Empower your employees and managers to recognize their peers and celebrate successes with an easy-to-use social recognition application.
- Feedback and Communication: Unlock improved feedback and communications with employee and customer feedback solutions.
- Wellness Programs: We make it easy to run wellness programs and activity challenges that increase engagement, expand corporate health, and build team camaraderie.
Ready to learn more? Schedule a demo with our team to get a hands-on walkthrough of how Terryberry can transform the culture of your workplace.